We are looking to add an early to mid-career machinist to our on-site machine shop. The ideal
candidate will have some experience in set up and operation of conventional, special purpose,
numerical control (NC) machines, manual lathes, millers, grinders, drill presses and band saws to
fabricate metallic and nonmetallic parts.
Applicants with little experience will be considered in an apprenticeship capacity. This position offers
the opportunity to learn machining techniques using a wide variety of materials and processes.
Willingness to follow and create instructions, learn and adapt methods, and sharp attention to detail
are all critical requirements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Work under the general direction of the department supervisor with a minimum of supervision.
• Studies blueprints, sketches, drawings, manuals, specifications, or sample part to determine
dimensions and tolerances of finished work piece, sequence of operations, and setup requirements.
• Measures, marks, and scribes dimensions and reference points on material or work piece as guides
for subsequent machining.
• Selects, aligns, and secures holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories, and materials on
machines such as mills, lathes, jig borers, grinders, and shapers.
• Calculates and sets controls to regulate machining factors such as speed, feed, coolant flow, and
depth and angle of cut, or enters commands to retrieve, input, or edit computerized machine control
• Starts and observes machine operation to detect malfunctions or out-of-tolerance machining, and
adjusts machine controls or control media as required.
• Verifies conformance of finished work piece to specifications using various measurement tools,
including micrometers, caliper, and comparator.
• Sets up and operates machine on trial run to verify accuracy of machine settings or programmed
• Fits and assembles parts into complete assembly.
• Verifies dimensions and alignment of assembly.
• Installs machined replacement parts in mechanisms, machines, and equipment, and tests operation
of unit to ensure functionality and performance.
• Reports defective material, any unusual condition or circumstance immediately to supervisor.
• Maintains personal productive and quality standards as determined by company.
Page 2 of 2
• Follows standard practices and procedures as outlined by company policy.
• Obeys all safety regulations. Identifies and implements any opportunities for safety improvements.
• Maintains area in a clean and orderly condition.
• Performs all other duties as directed or required.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); 1 year related experience and/or training; or
equivalent combination of education and experience.
Strong Math Skills Required.
Must have reasonable dexterity in hands to manipulate micrometers, calipers and other precision hand
Ability to lift over 5 pounds and up to 40 pounds.
Ability to stand for long periods of time.
The noise level in the work environment is moderate.
This position will be based in our East Falmouth, MA facility, which is a smoke-free work environment.
This is a full-time position with a competitive benefits package. Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
Candidate must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
Our product lines include a range of bio-geochemical/physical oceanography sampling and profiling instruments for use in oceanographic research and environmental monitoring. The objective of McLane Research Laboratories is to enable worldwide investigators to achieve their research and scientific goals by providing advanced, cost-effective instrumentation.