Machine or modify a variety of parts and/or assemblies for experimental, engineering or production projects. Must be skilled in operation of manual equipment (lathes, mills etc.).
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Set up and operate standard metal working equipment such as lathes, milling, grinding machines, saw, drill press, hydraulic press, engineering drawings, sketches, verbal instructions, and metal tempering equipment to machine parts to formalized specifications.
- Use index heads, rotary tables, dividing heads, sine plates or improvise, design and machine fixtures or holding devices to be used in part or assembly machining.
- Design, machine and fabricate dies for hydraulic pressing of parts from sheet material.
- Define method and sequence of operations for machining to requirement.
- Define and grind special tooling needed to machine to requirement.
- Define and machine special inspection devices to ensure quality.
- Use Machinist Handbook and other reference materials to determine machinability of material, tooling requirements, mathematical formulas, etc.
- Act as consultant to engineering and technical personnel on matters of machinability, tolerance, and method pertaining to projects.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Guide/assist lower classified employees.
- Provide necessary technical assistance and guidance to employees after work is assigned by the supervisor.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
AMOUNT OF EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Minimum of four-year apprenticeship in toolmaking preferred.
- One-year prior experience in a similar position, or equivalent.
- Experience with manual equipment.